> Roofing DIY
> How to Build A Shed Roof
A garden shed is the must have "accessory" for all home-owners. Easy to build, this is a simple weekend project for all do-it-yourselfers. Feel free to contact your local Roof 101 contractor for any further shed roof assistance or advice.
Tools for shed roof construction
- Shed roof materials package
- Roofing nails
- Safety rope
- Chalk line
- Measuring tape
- Pry bar
- Metal framing fasteners and brackets
- Anything else you expect to use
How to build a shed roof instructions
- Cut and fix 2 beam supports above front and rear wall frame top plates, then cut and fix room shed roof frame above beam supports.
- Cut and fix 4 end rafters, plumb and temporarily brace.
- Cut 8 remaining intermediate rafter and fix 4 on each side.
- Measure and cut 4 rows of noggings to fit between rafters. Place rows on each side of Side wall’s top plates.
- Cover roof with 1/2 inch plywood, nailing a max of 8 feet apart on each rafter. Run sheets from roof beams to end of rafters, cutting to size if necessary. All joins running parallel with roof beam must be under a purlin.
- Nail 3 rows of purlin to each side of roof, overhanging each end by 1 inch.
- Fix top row 3 inches down from apex.
- Nail ends of roof sheathing from underside to bottom purlins.
- Nail barge board to end of purlins along each rake of gable, and flush with top of purlins.
- Join barge boards at apex and cut 6 inches past rafter ends.
- Fix fascia and barge boards to rafter ends, and cover with self-supporting underlay.
- Fix roofing iron to purlins using nails, and overhang 2 1/2 inches over fascia board.
- Fix ridge capping to purlin at every second corrugation.