> Roofing DIY
> How to Install Metal Roof
How to install metal roof is one of the easier installations for the do-it-yourselfer. However, metal roofs can be snapped or damaged easily, making it extremely dangerous. If you do not feel 100% safe working with metal roofing, contact a Roof 101 professional to help you carry and shape it safely, and properly learn how to install metal roof.
Tools Required for Metal Roof Installation
- metal roofing (sheets)
- measuring tape
- chalk line
- extension ladder
- step ladder
- metal roofing nails
- metal roofing screws
- metal roofing cutting snips
How to Install Metal Roof Instructions
- For 1st sheet: put metal roofing wood screws on every 2 feet on center and inside of sheet. 2nd sheet should overlap 1st, and if it is V-Crimp, 1 crimp will overlap sheet beneath. If R-panel, 1 ridge will overlap already screwed in ridge.
- Pop chalk line every 2 feet across wood slats and use metal roofing wood screws ever 2 feet on both sides of metal roofing.
- Continue along roof slope until last metal roofing sheet. Screw in last sheet by trimming where it overlaps ridge and meets closest row.
- Install lap screws on both slopes.
- Install metal roof trim every 2 inches with 1/2 inch metal roofing wood screws.
- Install closures by pushing into openings along edge.
- Screw bottom of all metal roofing sheets down.
- Install ridge; use 5/16 metal roof lap screws to screw down ridge every 2 feet for R-Panel, and 1/2 metal roofing wood screws for V-crimp. R-Panel will come with a foam enclosure similar to bottom enclosures to fill in wide gaps at top of sheets.