> Roofing DIY
> Do It Yourself Roof Repair
The guttering system of your roof is one of the most essential elements of protection against weathering, and proper maintenance and repair will ensure its functionality and longevity. Do it yourself roof repair is a great way to take care of your gutters and down pipes, and isn't always complicated. However, roof repair DIY should be viewed as a temporary solution before calling a professional. In this case, Roof101 has an entire team of professionals waiting to assist you.
For DIY roof repair of your gutters you will need:
- gutter sealant
- pop rivets
- gutter corner
- rotary tool
- pop rivet tool
Steps for do it yourself roof repair for gutters and down-pipes:
- Check to see that your gutters are not obstructed by leaves and debris, and remove any such material. Roof 101 recommends installing a gutter-guard to deflect leaves and debris, and thus prevent you from performing regular do it yourself roof repair.
- If your gutters sag, tighten the holders, and if necessary, replace them.
- If there are any leaks at the seams, use gutter sealant to close them up.
- Rust spots are signs of serious damage to your guttering system. It can be removed using a grinding stone, and replenished with several coats of gutter sealant. If the rust is extensive, it is worthwhile calling a Roof 101 expert to replace that section of the gutter. If you prefer DIY roof repair, then use a grinding stone to create centering holes in the old rivets of your gutter corners. Use a bit to drill them out, then remove them and clean away excess sealer with a high speed cutter.
- Drill rivet holes against old ones and position in the new rivets. Using a pop rivet tool, attach them into place. Apply gutter sealant to the joints.