> Roofing DIY
> Do It Yourself Metal Roof
A do it yourself metal roof project is far from easy. Aside from requiring much hard to obtain and hard to use equipment, the process itself is both complicated and dangerous. There are also many situations in which more than one person is required. For these reasons, we recommend that you do not proceed with a metal roof DIY project if you are incapable. Alternatively, contact a Roof 101 professional for assistance.
Metal Roof DIY Installation:
- Assemble all the metal roof sheets, tools, and equipment (as assigned by the kit details), and ensure that the work area is safe. Areas should be designated for different kinds of tools, such as electric vs. safety, and protective equipment worn.
- Remove existing roofing, including flashings and gutters that need to be re-positioned. Remove layers in an organized manner, and pull out any nails that do not allow for a flat surface.
- When removing the old roof sheathing, it is likely that some problems be discovered. Whether this is a leak or blockage, it is essential that all such problems be tended to before continuing with the DIY metal roof. For this, you may require DIY Roof repair assistance.
- Install all necessary flashing and guttering.
- Install the edging pieces of the metal sheeting.
- Attach the first panel according to the outlined fastening method, starting at the lower left corner of the surface, and work your way up. Clips and fasteners may be required for expansion and contraction of the metal. Sometimes, the metal sheets should be attached to batten boards.
- Continue sheathing by overlapping the previously installed sheet with new ones, until the ridge of the roof is reached.
- Install the metal roofing designed for the ridge area to complete the sheathing.